We've all been there- scrolling through websites looking at deals that seem too good to be true. It a natural instinct that we have as humans to want the lowest price possible. However, when building a new metal building the old adage of "you get what you pay for" remains undefeated. More often than not, those who buy those predatory deals on websites like Craigslist and E-Bay end up starting all over having lost their money on a pile of scrap that they'll never be able to erect. Fortunately, we understand the importance of having a secure, reliable and structurally sound building to operate from. And, with hundreds of options available, from custom-built options to pre-engineered steel buildings, it can be difficult to determine the best choice for your specific needs. Let Peak Building Systems help you through that process.
In the metal building industry, there are many unscrupulous sellers who prey on unsuspecting buyers by offering pre-engineered steel buildings for sale on sites like eBay and Craigslist. While these buildings may appear to be a great deal at first glance, they can come with a number of risks, making them a bad investment and a potential hazard to your business.
Here are some of the top reasons why you should never buy a pre-engineered steel building from eBay or Craigslist:
1. Lack of Quality Control: Pre-engineered steel buildings are designed and manufactured using precise specifications in order to ensure that the building is structurally sound. Unfortunately, when you purchase a pre-engineered steel building from eBay or Craigslist, there is no guarantee that the building has been manufactured to the same quality standards. The seller may not have taken the necessary steps to inspect the building and ensure that it meets all safety regulations and requirements.
2. Unknown Building History: When you purchase a pre-engineered steel building from a reputable seller, you can be sure that the building has been properly maintained and inspected throughout its life. However, when you purchase a pre-engineered steel building from eBay or Craigslist, you can never be sure if the building has been properly cared for or if it may have been damaged in any way. This could cause serious safety issues if the building is not up to code or is structurally unsound.
3. No Warranties: Pre-engineered steel buildings usually come with some form of warranty, which protects your investment in case the building is damaged or fails to meet certain performance standards. When you purchase a pre-engineered steel building from eBay or Craigslist, you have no such protection, leaving you vulnerable to costly repairs or replacement should something go wrong.
4. Poor Customer Service: When you purchase a pre-engineered steel building from a reputable seller, you have access to customer service should any issues arise. Unfortunately, when you buy a pre-engineered steel building from eBay or Craigslist, you are essentially on your own should you encounter a problem.
5. Permitting Issues: Pre-engineered Steel buildings are designed and loaded for your jobsite specifically. Therefore, should you buy a “sale” building online, the building code itself, wind load, snow load, exposure and seismic loads will likely be incorrect. Should you take the drawings to your city or county and not get a permit, you will be the proud owner of thousands of pounds of scrap metal.
Peak Building Systems is happy to be your trusted partner in this process, and we treat your project like our own. In the end, customer service and integrity is what is most important to us and our customers. You cannot find these over the internet, we want to give you the personal touch you deserve when building your new home, facility, out building or whatever else your metal building best serves.
Overall, while pre-engineered steel buildings can be a great option for businesses, you should never purchase one from eBay or Craigslist. These buildings come with too many unknowns, leaving you vulnerable to costly issues and poor customer service. Instead, it is always best to purchase your pre-engineered steel building from a reputable seller who can provide you with a quality product, warranties and customer service. For more information about what you should and should NOT do before purchasing a new building, click here!